Foster High Academic Decathlon takes Regional title
Foster High School is home to the Regional Champions for Academic Decathlon. The team won the Region crown after competing January 20-21 in Porter. The team advances to the State Academic Decathlon Tournament, February 24-25 in San Antonio.
In addition to the team title, Foster won the Super Quiz Combined and was 2nd in Super Quiz Relay.
Lamar Consolidated High finished 5th in the team standings.
Foster’s Michael Duncan was the top scorer at the meet, with 8,673 points. Duncan placed first in the Honors Division, for students with Grade Point Averages (GPA) between 3.75 and 4.0. Foster’s Neil Byers was 2nd in the Honors Division.
Foster’s Laurel Toskey had the highest score in the Scholastic Division (GPA between 3.0 and 3.75) and Brad Killingsworth placed 3rd.
Foster’s Katelyn Byers was 4th in the Varsity Division (0.0 to 2.99 GPA).
In the individual events:
· Duncan earned Gold Medals in Math, Economics, Science, Language and Literature and Art and Silver Medals in Interview and Speech;
· Neil Byers, Gold in Essay, Speech, Music and Economics, Silver in Super Quiz, Art and Language and Literature and Bronze in Interview;
· Toskey, Gold in Interview, Language and Literature and Super Quiz, Silver in Music and Bronze in Economics;
· Killingsworth, Gold in Music and Economics, Silver in Speech and Science and Bronze in Art;
· Katelyn Byers, Silver in Science and Bronze Medals in Economics, Language and Literature and Art; and
· Rachel Calbert, Gold in Interview and Bronze in Science.
Other Foster team members are Logan Head, Rebecca Pirtle, Timmy Gonzalez, Alishia Griffin and Michael Royko. Jacob Nowaczewski is the coach of the Foster Academic Decathlon team.
Kevin Esswein earned a Silver Medal in Math for LCHS and Nicole Destefano earned Silver in Interview. Other members of the Lamar team were Jordan Chappell, Aaron Udayan, Jesus Kana, James Martinez, Stephen Minda, Richa Patel and Bailey Smith. Stacy Thomas coaches Lamar CHS Academic Decathlon.
Short URL: http://www.fortbendstar.com/?p=15280