Two more predators headed to the pen
By LeaAnne Klentzman
June 2012 closed with some solid wins for those who fight for abused women and children. “Justice sometimes demands the maximum punishment our law allows,” said prosecutor Elan Levy, “and lifetime sentences are meant for people like Wilburt Cash.”
In a case that ended last week, Wilbert D Cash was sentenced to life in prison for his actions in 2011. It all began on March 6, 2011, when Wilburt Dwaine Cash, 30, of Missouri City, kidnapped, terrorized, and sexually assaulted a woman, then continued to terrorize her as his trial approached.
According to Assistant District Attorney Chad Bridges, Wilburt Cash entered a guilty plea last month on the Aggravated Kidnapping, Aggravated Assault and Witness Tampering charges but demanded a trial on the Aggravated Sexual Assault charge. Bridges explained that after a two day trial by Judge on the Aggravated Sexual Assault charge, Cash was found guilty of that also.
During the June 27, 2012 punishment hearing, Judge Thomas R Culver of the 240th District Court sentenced Cash to the maximum of two years in a state jail facility for each of the two counts of Witness Tampering for his attempts to coerce his victim into dropping charges. Cash was then sentenced to 15 years in prison for each of the three counts of Aggravated Assault and then another 15 years on the charge of Aggravated Kidnapping. Finally, a life sentence was imposed on Cash for the Aggravated Sexual Assault charge.
“This is one of the worst aggravated sexual assault cases I have ever seen in all my years as a District Judge,” said Judge Culver. “The victim was sexually and physically tortured with pliers and burned with a hot clothes iron and a homemade ‘blow torch’. The punishment I assessed ensures this will never happen again.”
“The defendant committed horrific crimes and we couldn’t agree more with Judge Culver’s reasoning and sentence,” said Bridges.
Cash’s sentences will run concurrently; he will not be eligible for parole for at least 30 years.
In the same court, the following day, Arnold Salcido Montalvo, 43, of Richmond entered a guilty plea for Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child. Montalvo, a man with a laundry list of criminal charges in his past, was this time facing a charge for the 2011 aggravated sexual assault of his then girlfriend’s daughter.
According to Assistant District Attorney Natalie Sarfin, when the child was attacked by Montalvo he was living with the victim, her sisters, and her mother in Rosenberg. “Montalvo would babysit the victim and her two sisters when the mother was at work. One morning, the defendant woke the victim up for school, pulled the covers off of her, and sexually assaulted her,” said Sarfin. Once the child was safely at school, she made an outcry to her teacher. That teacher took action and law enforcement was notified and Montalvo was removed from the home the same day the victim made her outcry explained Sarfin.
“The courage of the child to tell her teacher prevented Montalvo from committing this type of offense against other children,” said Sarfin. “It is not easy for children to tell when someone has sexually abused them. The perpetrator in this case is going to prison for a long time and I hope children know that adults do listen when they tell.”
On Thursday, June 28, 2012, Montalvo was sentenced to 20 years in prison. He will also be required to register as a sex offender for the remainder of his life.
Short URL: http://www.fortbendstar.com/?p=21546