Hot night in Sugar Creek
By LeaAnne Klentzman
Flames shot into the night after a gas line erupted in a Sugar Creek back yard.
Shortly after 9pm, Saturday night Sugar Land fire and police responded to a call in the 800 block of Merrick Drive near Longview Drive in the Sugar Creek subdivision after a reported gas leak. According to witnesses flames could be seen shooting up to 70 feet in the air. Eventually it was determined that a gas pipeline feeding several decorative fountains had failed and caused the problem. The gas was turned off and the fire was extinguished. The homeowner John Newman told an onlooker, ” Thank God for protecting his children and his home, one of his sons had to run under the flames to escape.” At the time of the incident the children were in the back yard in the pool and roasting marshmallows.
Although there was a thunderous explosion, heaving ground and a fireball toward the sky, no one was injured and no property damage was reported. Sugar Land police secured the area while the fire department got the flames under control. The neighborhood was returned to calm within hours.
Short URL: http://www.fortbendstar.com/?p=31563