Seven FBISD music programs honored in 2013 Mark of Excellence Project
Fort Bend ISD is proud to announce that seven school band and orchestra programs are winners in the 2013 Mark of Excellence project. Sponsored by The Foundation for Music Education, the Mark of Excellence project is a not-for-profit organization that promotes music education through scholarships and other worthwhile projects.
The project consists of the National Wind Band Honors, the National Orchestra Honors, National Choral Honors, National Jazz Honors, and National Percussion Ensemble Honors. The top quarter of participants are selected as National Winners, and the second quarter receive Commended Honors.
To compete, school band and orchestra programs from across the nation submit recordings of their performances, which are judged by band and orchestra adjudicators. The band adjudicators for the project were Dr. Kraig Alan Williams, Director of Bands at Rutgers University; Colonel John R. Bourgeois, USMC (Ret), the 25th Director of “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band; and Eugene Corporon, Conductor of the Wind Symphony and Regents Professor of Music at the University of North Texas. The orchestra adjudicator was Larry Livingston, Professor of Conducting and Orchestra at the University of Southern California.
This year, 178 of the finest musical ensembles in the nation entered the competition, with entries received from more than 35 states.
FBISD’s 2013 Mark of Excellence project winners
National Wind Band Honors
• Fort Settlement Middle School Honors Band (directed by Greg Countryman and Theresa Baragas) – National Winner
• Dulles Middle School Honor Band (directed by Michael Roberts) – Commended Winner
• Sartartia Middle School Wind Ensemble (directed by Julieanne Amos) – Commended Winner
National Orchestra Honors
• Austin High School Symphony Orchestra (directed by Carolyn Vandiver and John Law) – National Winner, High School Full Orchestra
• Austin High School Orchestra (directed by Carolyn Vandiver and John Law) – National Winner, High School String Orchestra
• Dulles Middle School Symphony Orchestra (directed by Sally Kirk) – Commended Winner
• Fort Settlement Middle School Orchestra (directed by Angela Peugnet) – Commended Winner
“All of our winning band and orchestra groups are wonderful examples of the high musical achievement represented in our schools,” said James Drew, FBISD Fine Arts Director. “They are definitely deserving of accolades, and we cannot be more proud of their accomplishments.”
The winning groups will receive recorded and written comments and suggestions on improving their performances from the project adjudicators. All entrants of the project will receive a compilation CD of the performances by the National Winners.
Short URL: http://www.fortbendstar.com/?p=34163