Three gunned down at Stafford car wash

By LeaAnne Klentzman 

After arriving for work, three men were killed by a co-worker who, just minutes before, was terminated.

Sunday morning about 10 a.m., several of the employees of the Royal Wash Mobile car detailing service met at their base of operations located at 393 Avenue E in Stafford to head to Reliant Stadium. According to Stafford police spokesman Sergeant James Leedom, this team, led by business owner Harvey “Troy” Simmons, had a contract to wash and detail vehicles during Texans’ games at the Reliant Stadium parking lot. However, last Sunday was a wash out due to inclement weather, so Simmons offered to pay employees just for showing up.

Sgt. Leedom said witnesses indicated that tempers flared and LaMelvin Johnson was terminated by Simmons. Instead of leaving, Johnson went to his car, retrieved a pistol and began shooting. Owner Harvey “Troy” Simmons, 34, his uncle Johnny Simmons, 59, and Donntay Borom, 18, a recent Dulles graduate, who was there to interview for a job, were shot and succumbed to their injuries that morning.

According to Sgt. Leedom, Simmons died at the scene. The elder Simmons and Borom were taken to the hospital by ambulance where one died on the way and the other in surgery.

Nine-one-one calls to police began just minutes after 10 that morning. From the beginning police had an idea of who they were looking for and the motive behind the slaughter. However, after the shootings the man responsible had fled the scene in his 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis, leaving the mayhem behind.

LaMelvin Johnson, 35, was publically identified as the suspect just hours after the massacre. His face, vehicle description, and family connections were splashed across media outlets. Late Monday night, at the side of “Community Activist” Quanell X, Johnson turned himself in at the Harris County Jail knowing there were murder warrants out for his arrest. Johnson was booked into the Fort Bend County Jail about 1:30 am, Tuesday morning, on a felony murder warrant where he remains under a $500,000 bond.

In a television interview, at the time of his arrest, Johnson said the act was self-defense. Police said no weapons were found at the scene and there was no indication that Johnson was ever under attack or in danger.

Short URL:

Posted by on Oct 2 2013. Filed under Crime. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google
Log in | Copyright © 2015 by | All rights reserved.