E.S.L. classes teach computer skills while improving language learning beginning Friday, October 18
The Literacy Services department at Fort Bend County Libraries will begin a 6-week series of ESL (English-as-a-Second-Language) and computer classes in October for adults who would like to learn how to speak English and to use a computer. Each class is designed to improve English-speaking, reading and writing abilities while teaching basic computer skills.
The classes will take place on Fridays, beginning October 18, from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon, in the Computer Lab at George Memorial Library, 1001 Golfview in Richmond.
The schedule is as follows:
• October 18 – Introduction to Computers and the Internet. Students will learn basic English words and phrases while receiving an introduction to computers. By the end of the class, they will know how to introduce themselves and perform an Internet search.
• October 25 – Introduction to Microsoft Word. This class will focus on family-related words and phrases while learning how to use the Microsoft Word computer program. Students will use the word-processing program to compose a story in English about their family, on the computer.
• November 1 – Microsoft Word, Part 2: Images. This class will focus on job-related words and phrases, while continuing to improve computer skills. Students will use Microsoft Word on the computer to compose a story in English about their jobs, and find an image on the Internet that represents their work.
• November 8 – Microsoft Word, Part 3: Tables & Charts. This class will focus on food and grocery-related words and phrases, while continuing to improve computer skills. Students will learn how to use the Internet to compare prices at different grocery stores, and create a chart showing the different prices.
• November 15 – Introduction to Microsoft PowerPoint. This class will focus on clothing and department-store words and phrases, while learning how to use Microsoft PowerPoint, a presentation computer program. Students will also learn how to search for department stores on the Internet.
• November 22 – Microsoft PowerPoint, Part 2. This class will focus on grammar and conversational abilities in English, while continuing to improve computer skills.
The classes are free and open to the public. Seating is limited, however, and reservations are required. Participants may register by calling the library at 281-341-2652, or by visiting the Literacy Services department at George Memorial Library.
Short URL: http://www.fortbendstar.com/?p=34737