Three arrested in shooting of Stafford Police Officer

By LeaAnne Klentzman 

The last two men wanted for their involvement in shooting a Stafford Police Officer are in custody.

It took the village, the police, and a whole alphabet soup of local, state, and federal law enforcement officers to round up the three men responsible for shooting Stafford Police Officer Ann Carrizales.

At a press conference last week at the Stafford Centre, Stafford Mayor Leonard Scarcella, Police Chief Bonny Krahn, and Officer Ann Carrizales sought the public’s help in finding the two men who remained at large after Carrizales’ shooting. During that conference, a special $10,000 Crime Stoppers reward was announced.

It all began in the wee hours of October 26, 2013 when patrol officer Ann Carrizales stopped a suspicious vehicle on FM 1092/Murphy Road. As she made contact with the driver, the front seat passenger shot her twice; once in the cheek and once in the chest. As the shooters sped off, Officer Carrizales, bleeding and suffering from concussion wounds to the chest where her bulletproof vest had stopped the projectile, gave chase.

Officer Carrizales and a fleet of pursuing law enforcement chased the gang of three from Stafford to north Houston. Officer Carrizales was taken to the hospital and the other officers found and arrested the shooter; the other two got away.

On the afternoon of October 31, Stafford authorities held the press conference seeking the public’s help. Less than 24 hours later suspect Freddy Henriquez was in custody based on a concerned citizen’s tip and the assistance of the Houston Police Department. Stafford Police Lieutenant Dustin Claborn said, “The initial call came into the Harris County Constable Precinct 5 and was transferred to our investigator. The caller identified Freddy Henriquez as an individual that had come to their church looking for help and a place to stay. Recognizing him, the caller initiated contact with law enforcement. Coordinating with the caller, investigators checked a residence in Houston for the fugitive and discovered he had left and gone to a church in the 7300 block of Ashcroft in Houston.” Using that information Henriquez was taken into custody by HPD SWAT without incident at 12:46 a.m. on the morning of November 1.

Claborn went on to explain, “Subsequent investigation indicates Henrequez’ intended to hide utilizing churches for 2-3 months, then assuming a new identity and remaining in the country.”

Then later that day, a Crime Stoppers tip led to the arrest of the third suspect Daniel Cruz. In that arrest Stafford officers coordinated again with the Houston Police Department and arrested Cruz at a relative’s apartment in the 9000 block of Fondren.

Claborn attributed the arrests to the partnership with the Houston Police Department, FBI, ICE, Crime Stoppers and Clear Channel Communications. He extended sincere thanks to the public and the media for their support during this incident saying, “The apprehension of Freddy Henriquez and Daniel Cruz was made possible through the support and assistance of the community and Crime Stoppers. The Stafford Police Department appreciates all the efforts brought to bear in bringing these suspects another step towards justice.”

Short URL:

Posted by on Nov 6 2013. Filed under Crime. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google
Log in | Copyright © 2015 by | All rights reserved.