The Fort Bend Foodie 11/27/13
Well folks, Thanksgiving is upon us. It’s the time of year when we think about tried and true family recipes; the dish that everybody requests year after year because it is so good! The most requested side dish in my family is, hands down, my mom’s Yam Bake. What makes it so scrumptious is the crumb topping sprinkled on top of a mixture of yams and whole-berry cranberry sauce, topped off with toasted marshmallows. It is the perfect combination of sweet, tart, crunchy and soft. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Bon appetit!
Mom’s Yam Bake
By Lee Ann Malone
• 1 cup flour
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
• 2 tsp. cinnamon
• 2/3 cup butter
• 3 large cans yams or sweet potatoes, drained
• 2 cans whole berry cranberry sauce
• 2 cups miniature marshmallows
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Crumb Mixture
Mix first 4 ingredients together. Cut butter into mixture with pastry blender or 2 knives until course.
• Toss 1 cup of crumb mixture with yams and cranberry sauce.
• Place in a greased 13 X 9-inch baking dish.
• Top with remaining crumbs.
• Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until hot in the middle.
• Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over top of casserole and broil until lightly brown.
Warning – the marshmallows brown quickly, so don’t take your eyes off of them while under the broiler.
Serves 10 – 12
If you have a favorite recipe you would like to share, please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Short URL: http://www.fortbendstar.com/?p=36225