FBISD provides plan to address overcrowding at Commonwealth Elementary
Fort Bend Independent School District is taking measures to address projected overcrowding at Commonwealth Elementary (CWE), with plans to close enrollment for the next two years. Parents are invited to attend a meeting on April 24 at 6:00 p.m. at the FBISD Annex (3119 Sweetwater Blvd., Sugar Land, 77479) in the main auditorium to learn more about the plan.
After consideration of projected growth, facility-use studies, and parental feedback, District officials developed a detailed plan to address the challenges due to excessive enrollment at CWE. Highlights of the plan include:
• Enrollment at CWE will be capped for the next two years.
• New students will enroll at Austin Parkway Elementary, which has been designated as the overflow campus to relieve Commonwealth.
• If necessary, Colony Bend Elementary will be utilized as an overflow campus if Austin Parkway reaches maximum capacity.
• The Kindergarten projected enrollment mirrors the outgoing fifth-grade enrollment; therefore, new Kindergarten students were admitted to CWE during the District’s recent Kindergarten enrollment window.
• New students who currently have a sibling attending CWE in Kindergarten through fourth grades will be allowed to enroll at CWE.
• Students who attend the overflow campuses become students of that campus and participate in activities at the overflow campus. Bus transportation is provided to and from the overflow campuses from neighborhood bus stops, if students meet the District’s established criteria for school transportation.
For more information, please visit the Commonwealth Elementary website by visiting www.fortbendisd.com and clicking on “Schools.”
Short URL: http://www.fortbendstar.com/?p=39784