WCJC athletes honored at annual banquet
Wharton County Junior College student athletes had the opportunity to rest on their laurels during this week’s 51st Annual Athletic Banquet.
Each athlete from the college’s three sports programs – baseball, rodeo and volleyball – received individual recognition and a few words of encouragement from their respective coaches during the event, held Tuesday in the Pioneer Student Center on the Wharton campus.
Highlight of the evening was the presentation of the Johnnie Frankie Award and the Dr. Ty Pate Academic Award. Jenny Banker, daughter of the late Coach Johnnie Frankie, presented the Johnnie Frankie award to DaVette McCall, a sophomore volleyball player from Tarkington who will transfer to the University of St. Thomas.
Leigh Ann Collins, WCJC’s current Vice President of Instruction, presented the Dr. Ty Pate Award – established in the memory of the late WCJC administrator and former student athlete – to Robert Blalock, a left-handed pitcher out of Kingwood.
Volleyball Coach Brianna Florus shared the individual statistics of her 13 players – including some humorous recollections of this past season – before presenting the Most Valuable Player award to Bethany Holub, a sophomore outside hitter from Katy.
Baseball Coach Keith Case, in his first season at the college, recognized each of his 36 players, noting that the Pioneers had a great season with 25 wins, 16 of which were conference games. Case said his team finished only a couple of games out of the playoffs. He presented the Most Valuable Player Award to JD Arrowood of League City.
Rodeo Coach Sean Amestoy shared season highlights of his 33 cowboys and cowgirls before presenting the Most Valuable Player Award to Heath Kocurek of Sealy. Amestoy noted that several of his team will be competing in the National Finals Rodeo in Casper, Wyo., this summer.
Academic All-Conference 2013-2014 awards were presented to 12 student athletes who had at least a 3.25 grade point average, had been enrolled at the college for at least three semesters and had taken at least 36 hours of course work. WCJC Athletic Director Gene Bahnsen made the presentation.
Academic All-Conference Award winners:
• DaVette McCall (volleyball), Tarkington
• Kara Mushrush (volleyball), Bellville
• Travis Dominguez (baseball), San Antonio
• Emma Hulsey (volleyball), Houston
• Austin Zillweger (baseball), Houston
• Blain Bagley (baseball), San Marcos
• Lance Elling (baseball), San Antonio
• Tiffany Kroll (volleyball), Tomball
• Luke Meza (baseball), Dickinson
• Will Blanchard (baseball), Bulverde
• Robert Heep (baseball), San Antonio
• Robert Blalock (baseball), Kingwood
• Bethany Holub of Katy – Volleyball Most Valuable Player
• JD Arrowood of League City – Baseball Most Valuable Player
• Heath Kocurek of Sealy – Rodeo Most Valuable Player
• Robert Blalock of Kingwood – Dr. Ty Pate Academic Award Recipient
• DaVette McCall of Tarkington – Johnnie Frankie Award Recipient
The 51st Annual WCJC Booster Club Athletic Banquet was made possible in part by WCJC and the WCJC Booster Club.
Short URL: http://www.fortbendstar.com/?p=40233