A not-so-funny thing happened to me on the way to the office



It’s Monday morning about 6:30 and here I am at my computer at home just starting to write this column.

I would have been at the office doing this were it not for the rain and the floods. Truth be told, I should have written it last week. Call it procrastination or just plain being too busy (I choose the latter) but it didn’t get done until now. Even now, my wife and youngest son are cuddled together on the couch in the living room watching the weatherman on TV telling us the obvious – it’s raining.

Colton’s older brother Luke is still in bed sleeping through this mess. School has been cancelled for the day, so he doesn’t have to get up. Seeing how he is the only one of us still in bed, I think that makes him the smartest of the bunch. We are all pretty sleep deprived and a few extra hours of excused snoozing would do us all a lot of good.

Alas, ’tis not to be for the obscenely busy procrastinator…

It’s almost ironic to be stuck at home on a rainy day when all of my family and friends back in Colorado have been enjoying similar benefits due to snow. They got a lot of it. My Facebook feed was so full of snowy pictures I thought it was Christmas again. I was laughing with (at) them seeing how the weather here was sunny and in the 70s when the storm hit the Rockies. It’s not so funny now.

Flash-forward: It is now about 8:30 a.m. and I have just returned home from my second attempt to get to the office. The rain let up around 7:30 and I was able to sail right up Hwy. 59 from Rosenberg in near record time. I exited at Hwy. 90 like I always do and had no problem driving up the Hwy. 59 frontage road and turning on to Techniplex Drive. That’s as far as I got.

I could see the office about 400 yards away. There was also a lake between me and it. I could see cars parked on Techniplex with water reaching the tops of their tires. So close, yet so far away. Do you have any idea how frustrating that is?

Almost all the work I need to do in order to get this edition of the newspaper out is sitting on my computer desktop. I don’t have any way to access it remotely. The best I can do is write what I can from my computer at home, which is what I’m doing.

At the same time, my nice, warm bed is beckoning me from just a few feet away. Luke is still asleep and Colton has returned to his bed. I’m trying hard to convince myself that my work must get done and sleep can wait. I was at the office nearly eight hours Sunday trying to get caught up but not quite making it. Putting in all these extra hours justifies a little snooze, doesn’t it?

Well, if you’re reading this far it must mean I ignored the call of the pillow and kept writing. It’s just my hope that this writing doesn’t put you to sleep, though it’s OK if you doze. There is nothing profound here this week. This is just my ramblings of my misadventures trying to get to work. It’s also my explanation of why the paper is most likely late this week.

By the time you read this, however, the rains will have stopped and the floodwaters receded and no one will care anymore about the treachery of the big storm. So on that note, I will end here and go contemplate the insides of my eyelids.

Comments are closed

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google
Log in | Copyright © 2016 by Fortbendstar.com | All rights reserved.