Category archives for: Community

Northern Exposure

Lynn Ashby

THE CAFÉE – Ah, yes, a little French music, French soup, croissants, and I can’t understand a word the yuppies at the next table are saying. Is this Paris? No. Louisiana? Not exactly. This is Olive + Gourmando on the corner of some street names I can’t pronounce. This is Montreal, which most Americans also mispronounce. […]

Elizabeth Jane (Russell) Mason

October 27, 1937 – October 11, 2014 Elizabeth Jane (Russell) Mason, age 76, of Missouri City, Texas, went to be with her Savior, Jesus Christ, on Saturday, October 11, 2014.  She was born October 27, 1937, in North Adams, Massachusetts. Liz was one of 8 children and spent most of her formative years in Bennington, […]

Mabel Howard Kozlovsky

May 19, 1929 – October 5, 2014 A Graveside Service for Mabel Howard Kozlovsky, 85, of Sugar Land, TX, is set for 12 Noon Thursday, October 9, 2014, at Davis-Greenlawn Cemetery, Rosenberg, TX. Visitation will be 10 – 11:00 AM Thursday, October 9, 2014, at Garmany & Carden Funeral Directors Chapel, 1201 Fourth Street, Rosenberg, […]

Help Fort Bend ISD Plan for the Future

As a public school district, Fort Bend ISD is dependent upon the active collaboration of our parents and community as the administration and Board of Trustees consider decisions that will impact schools and the overall district. Right now, the District is busy communicating information about the November 4, 2014 Bond Election, and the administration has […]

Guns ‘N’ Poses

Lynn Ashby

Dear neighbors, Some of you have been asking your board of directors about our new Running Rats Acres Police Department or RRAPD, the occasional M1Abrams tanks you see on our streets, and I’ll get to the drones in a minute. You have asked, “I didn’t even know we had a police department although we could […]

Robert R. Jones

Robert R. Jones

February 8, 1922 – September 19, 2014 Robert R. Jones, passed away peacefully on September 19, 2014. He was born February 8, 1922 in Windham, Ohio. Robert graduated from Warren Township High School as their class valedictorian and attended the University of Akron. He worked in Sales for Bellows Valvaire. Robert was a member of […]

OPINION: A student’s perspective on Homecoming

082714_FBCA

By Delphine Ogbebor Homecoming is a tradition in the United States for welcoming back graduated students or commonly known as Alumni. It is usually centered on an event which is typically a Friday night football game, followed by a Homecoming Dance. Homecoming has different meanings to different students. Some are in it for the football […]

The Wealth of Notions

Lynn Ashby

My last get-rich scheme didn’t work out too well. I bet the Texans and Cowboys would play in the Super Bowl. But I heard that organic foods were the current fad, so I invested heavily in them, and went broke because no one would buy my organic foods, not even my organic transplants. “Organic is […]

Barbed Wire

Lynn Ashby

THE LINE – You don’t often see a store with a large sign by the front door warning not to bring firearms inside, complete with the big silhouette of a revolver. And inside is a very big guard (true to the sign, no gun) but with badge and uniform and the look of a rabid […]

Ferguson, Why it wouldn’t happen here

Last Thursday I attended a meeting at the Sugar Land Police Department, which included Chief Brinkley, Assistant Chiefs, Captains, Lieutenants, Sergeants, Patrol Officers, members of the Community Assistance Support Team and Citizens Police Academy Alumni, but most critical to avoiding a Ferguson type event, were the almost 50 citizens of Sugar Land in the room. […]

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google