Category archives for: Community

Dear Tabby 12/03/14

Tabby

Helping animal charities  this Holiday season Dear Tabby, This Holiday season I know there are lots of area shelters that could benefit from donations. What’s the best way to give to these animal charities? Philanthropist in Seven Meadows Dear Philanthropist, Great idea–and yes, animal charities are in constant need of donations in order to keep […]

Letters to the Editor

The Fort Bend academy program (The Opinion – Academies are here to stay, but compromise is necessary, pg 3, November 19, 2014) is a wonderful opportunity for the academy’s high school participants.  I’m all in favor of providing such an opportunity to the deserving high-achieving students.  Unfortunately, the academy process appears to penalize non-academy students […]

BITE THE BALLOT

Lynn Ashby

THE PARTY – “So what do you think about the elections?” I ask a total stranger, trying to make idle chatter. “I’ll TELL YOU WHAT I THINK!” he says sweetly, pouring his drink on my canapés. Uh-oh. I’ve done it again. Today the mere mention of politics and/or elections sets off a firestorm. No one […]

AS BIG AS TEXAS

Lynn Ashby

THE OPEN ROAD – As good highway drivers, we keep a sharp eye out for slick roads, dangerous curves and, of course, cops. But now we must also watch out for yet another danger: wildlife which dart across the road in front of us in their suicidal attempt to run up our car insurance premiums. […]

An ID-eal Situation

Lynn Ashby

You have already voted, the ballots either have been counted or are being re-counted, depending whether the LBJ School of Ballot Management is in charge. And you are celebrating another victory for democracy. As the Church Lady would say, “Well. aren’t you special.” That’s because you have all the necessary paraphernalia, appear prosperous and Anglo, […]

Letter to the Editor

I’m afraid your suggestion “How about including an option to use headphones? You could click on a candidate’s photo. They would introduce themselves to you in a 30-second segment … ” would constitute electioneering within 100’ of the polling place, a violation of state law. This doesn’t even consider the fact that it would make […]

Hauke-Graham Engagement

HaukeGraham_slider

Dr. Jeffrey and Sunny Hauke of Sugar Land, Texas are pleased to announce the engagement of their daughter Dr. Farrah Hauke to Barry Graham, son of Stephen and Jana Graham of Scottsdale, Arizona. The bride to be is a graduate of Arizona State University and a psychologist. The groom is a graduate of Boston University […]

Pet of the Week 11/05/14

Pet_110514

Meet Millie. This 5 month old tortoise shell kitten is a ball of energy and fun! Millie would love a home with another young cat or kitten to romp with. Millie is a little wiggly, but enjoys the company of young children. If you think that Millie is the spark of life that your home […]

Sylvia Atwood Service

September 10, 1942 – October 23, 2014 Sylvia Service, 70, passed on to her heavenly home to join her loving husband, father and mother, aunts, her grandparents, a baby sister, all who she loved so very much, on October 23, 2014. Sylvia Ann Atwood was born Sept. 10, 1942 in Abilene to James and Barbara […]

Funds and Games

Lynn Ashby

FROM: The Hon. Gov. Rick Perry TO: Any Texan or Wannabe Texan Do you have an idea for a new business? Do you wish to expand your current business? Bring a business to Texas? Or would you just like lots and lots of money? Then you, fellow Texan or potential Texan, have come to the […]

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google