Category archives for: Community

Pet of the Week 03/25/15

0325_pet_of_the_week_featured

Meet Oreo. This 7 month old long-haired Tuxedo cat is hoping to find a family who’ll appreciate his social, loving personality (and his dapper good looks). Tuxedo cats are known to be highly intelligent and sweet and Oreo is no exception. What goes together better than Oreos and milk? This Oreo and your family. Learn […]

Editorial – Data with a Soul

Charles Dupre

Fort Bend ISD’s rich cultural diversity is a source of pride and a model for other Districts in Texas. Every day, our teachers, administrators, and students work hard to inspire and equip our students with the tools to succeed in life. As superintendent, I am proud of our efforts to educate the leaders of tomorrow. […]

IF AT FIRST YOU DON’T SECEDE…

Lynn Ashby

Ski Texas! Go south to Canada! You can’t arrest me, officer. I’m a diplomat! All this will be true if our latest troops from the Republic of Texas have their way. Members claim that Texas never actually joined the Union and, since there is no national government here, they had a duty to form one. […]

Letters to the Editor: Fort Bend GOP’s response to Sudhalter’s editorial

Dear Sir, I am writing regarding your article in the FB Star last week about Representative Rick Millers’ (House District 26) Bill removing the ability of municipalities to punish businesses for expressing their opinions.  I totally support the bill which protects our first amendment right of free speech.  He is attempting to right a terrible […]

Pet of the week 03/18/15

0318_pet_of_the_week_featured'

This sweet girl is a shepherd mix who has been cooped up at the shelter for too long. Sweet and playful, she’d make the perfect pet for just about anyone. Shepherd mixes are known for their intelligence, trainability and loyalty. Don’t you think this lovely gal would be the perfect fit for your family? If […]

COMMENTARY: The trials of traveling and technology

Lynn Ashby

SOUTH OF SEVEN OAKS — “Turn left at the next peacock crossing.” The Voice Lady in the dashboard is still talking to me. “Make a U-turn across the median.” And so it goes. I have a new Global Positioning System or GPS. Well, it’s new to me. I understand Vasquez de Coronado used one when […]

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Changes needed for Missouri City…

Due to recent events, I, like many other Missouri City residents, feel very optimistic about the future of our town. As reported by this and other newspapers, various City administrators and elected officials are leaving or may change with the upcoming elections. I think we can reasonably expect to see improvements in how the City is run.  Change can be good for any […]

Joaquin Buitrago

Joaquin Buitrago

September 18, 1933 – March 10, 2015 Joaquin Buitrago Contreras, age 81, passed away on March 10, 2015 in Caracas, Venezuela. Joaquin’s legacy lives on through his children, Jose Rafael, Joaquin Alberto, Jorge Enrique, and Javier Francisco, their respectful wives Zurilma, Elsa, Maria, and Tania. His legacy also lives through his grandchildren Rafael, Ricardo, Rodolfo, […]

A deeper look into the 40 acres

Lynn Ashby

So you want you or your kid or that cousin wearing the ankle monitor to get into The University of Texas at Austin. You’ll have better luck with Harvard, Yale or the College of Cardinals. Better yet, become a state official, endow a chair (and table, too, the profs need them) or simply move to […]

Thank you, Officer

Thank You Officer A. Montaya of Missouri City Police Department Yesterday morning, as I turned right from Texas Parkway and drove down Buffalo Run I noticed a police vehicle with it’s lights blinking but no unfortunate driver ahead receiving a ticket. As I drove a little further, I passed a car being pushed by a […]

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google