Category archives for: Community

WHERE THERE’S SMOKE

Lynn Ashby

THE TOBACCONIST – This is where I pick up my imported cigars, especially rolled for me by a little man east of the Urals. Well, not exactly. My boutique cigar store is Samuel’s Exclusive Club for Discriminating Clientele (some of you shorten it to Sam’s) and my expert connoisseur is Billy Joe, who prefers “a […]

Pet of the Week 01/14/15

Ruby

Meet Ruby. This girl is truly a jewel. At 5 months old, Ruby is a brown tabby with adorable white “socks” on her feet. Loving and playful, Ruby would fit nicely into any home. Wouldn’t your new year seem more complete with the love of a friendly feline? If so, contact Save Our Strays of […]

Letter to the Editor 01/14/15

A large number of vehicle owners that have unpaid red light camera fines outstanding over past three years have recently received the attached postcard.  An open records request has been filed to determine the exact number.  This post card is a desperate attempt to coerce the public into paying a fine which is voluntary.  The […]

Bruce White Hill

(1960 – 2015) BRUCE WHITE HILL, age 54, born in Louisiana on September 13, 1960, passed away in Houston, Texas, on Monday, January 12, 2015, after a four year battle with leukemia. Always an outdoor adventurer he loved the beach, the sun and all things to do with water. He enjoyed water skiing, diving and […]

THE FUTURE LIES AHEAD

Lynn Ashby

THE GROCERY STORE – Every year about this time these trashy magazines we see in racks by the checkout counter stop running headlines such as “Did Rob’s Baby Have Horns?” or “Jana and Lance – Kidnapped By Martians?” I have no idea who Rob, Jana and Lance are, and really don’t care. But these lurid […]

OUR YEAR OF TEARS

Houston, we don’t have a problem. Well, some problems. True, 2014 was when we saw big changes in sports, plus a quick about face in City Hall and Finger Furniture went out of business – again. So let’s look at these past 12 months. For Rice’s Honorarium: Rice President David Leebron received $1.5 million in […]

Pet of the Week 12/31/14

Meet Gisele. Gisele is a 3 year old, spayed Russian Blue girl who loves to snuggle in a warm lap. Much like her super-model namesake, this Gisele and sleek and exotic. In Russian folklore, Russian Blues were seen as good luck. Wouldn’t you like to have a little good luck in the new year? If […]

THE YEAR OF THE RAT

Lynn Ashby

What a year it was! Military victories, parades, the troops came home, there was peace on earth and prosperity in the land. The year I am speaking of is 1945, of course, because 2014 was a real downer. Here in Texas, we elected or re-elected some strong arguments for Santa Anna’s return. The happy folks […]

Letter to the Editor

To the editor: Your recent story about Fort Bend Deputies on paid vacation had an incorrect headline. This was not a repossession, it was a theft. There is no reason to pay deputies who committed a theft. Taxpayers deserve better. Michael Lee

OUT IN THE COLD

Lynn Ashby

THE KITCHEN – Here it is, strong and white, a huge testimony to modern technology and lots of cold cash, so to speak. My new refrigerator. You probably have such an appliance in your home, most people do. Perhaps also one in your office and car, maybe on board your 110-foot-long yacht, in your plane […]

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google