Category archives for: Community

Merle Sechrist Smithers

Merle Smithers

MERLE SECHRIST SMITHERS, was born January 3, 1938, in Pampa, Texas, and passed away November 7, 2013, in Sugar Land, Texas, due to complications from Alzheimer’s. Merle married the love of her life Don Smithers, on April 13, 1955, in Pampa, Texas, and spent her early married life in Moore, Oklahoma, where she was involved […]

Roy Phillips Miers

Roy Phillips Miers

Roy Phillips Miers, 72, of Sugar Land, TX passed away on October 3. He was born in Amarillo, Texas to  the late Roy Samuel “Shorty” Miers and Mary Phillips Miers. Roy graduated from Dumas High School in 1959 and attended West Texas State University. He was actively involved in the Sugar Land Exchange Club, Sugar […]

Castells-Puri Engagement

Cristina Castells and Justin Puri

Mr. and Mrs. Rod Castells of Missouri City, Texas are happy to announce the engagement of their daughter, Cristina, to Justin Puri, son of Janet Puri of Somerset, NJ. Cristina is a 1998 graduate of Clements High School, and is currently employed as a Guidance Counselor at Lincoln Park Middle School in Lincoln Park, NJ.  […]

Klentzman responds to letter from Joe Harrison (Refining your paper)

Editor’s note: Mr. Harrison’s letter was received through our contact us page. His letter follows:  “I read an article on your website written by LeaAnn Klentzman. It was about a shooting involving a police officer. What a piece of childish garbage! Who speaks/writes like that? I have a 7 year old niece with a better […]

Lou Gehrig’s Disease (ALS) is striking veterans at an alarming rate

Dear Editor, The press has done a very good job of reporting about the challenges our veterans face. We all have read or seen stories about our wounded warriors. About traumatic brain injury. About veterans suffering from depression and other serious mental health issues. About those who have lost limbs or endure other physical hardships. […]

The Hawks Eye View

By Chloe Baker The students at Wertheimer Middle School have finally begun to settle in and learn how everything works here at Wertheimer. From my perspective, his school is one of the best middle schools around.  There are many things that make our school fun and unique, but I was curious to know how my […]

Heather Moon Clingenpeel

Heather Moon Clingenpeel

Heather Moon Clingenpeel, age 41, went to be with the Lord on Tuesday, October 22, 2013, after a battle with Multiple Sclerosis. Heather was born on February 24, 1972, in Roanoke, VA. She graduated from Wilmington College in Wilmington, Ohio. Heather was full of personality with a smile to warm everyone’s heart and a personality […]

Harrel Crabb

Harrel Crabb

Harrel Crabb, 85.  Feb 4, 1928 – Oct. 22, 2013 Harrel Crabb was born Feb 4, 1928, to Nettie Lee and Oscar Carlyle Crabb in Orange, TX. He passed away Oct. 22, 2013, in Houston, at age 85. Harrel served the US Navy at the Bikini Islands where the US Operation Crossroads thermonuclear tests were […]

Mary Lou Coltharp

Mary Lou Coltharp

Mary Lou Coltharp, 70, of Missouri City, Texas died at 12:20 a.m., Friday, October 25, 2013.  She was born April 8, 1943 to Buell Sagraves and Tishia Jones Sagraves in Terre Haute, Indiana. She graduated from Glenn High School and attended Indiana State University until her marriage to Robert (Bob) Coltharp in 1964. They then […]

Voting on November 5? Here’s what you need to know

voting

By Carla Penny, AARP Texas  With recent congressional goings-on, we’ve all sat up and paid a little more attention. More folks have been talking about the role of government and the sort of country we want to be. Now that it’s time to take to the polls, it’s important to be prepared for Texas’ new […]

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google