Fort Bend ISD will host its annual Academy Expo on Thursday, October 27, from 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at Wheeler Field House located at 16403 Lexington Blvd. in Sugar Land adjacent to Mercer Stadium.
The event will give current students in grades 5-10 and their parents and/or guardians the opportunity to learn about the district’s current academy programs.
Academies are personalized, small learning communities that function within a larger secondary school setting with a mixture of career and academic classes offered to students. Students attending academies generally take more advanced courses in their areas of specialization.
The district currently offers 10 comprehensive academy programs (two at the middle school level, and eight at the high school level).
The current academies by school, program and enrollment grades include:
- Bush High School – International Business & Marketing Academy for current 8th grade students
- Clements High School – Global Studies Academy for current 8th grade students
- Dulles High School – Math & Science Academy for current 8th grade students
- Elkins High School – Engineering Academy for current 8th grade students
- Hightower High School – Medical Science Academy and Digital Media Academy for 8th grade students
- Marshall High School – International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme for current 10th grade students (Current 8th and 9th graders can apply to be Pre-Diploma candidate students.); and Electrical Engineering Academy for current 8th grade students
- Missouri City Middle School – International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Programme for current (2011-2012) 6th and 7th grade students
- Quail Valley Middle School – G/T Academy for current (2011-2012) 5th, 6th and 7th grade students identified as Gifted and Talented
During the Academy Expo, representatives from each FBISD academy will present an overview of their academy and the unique opportunities available to students. Freshmen may still apply to academies during the fall of their ninth-grade year.
As a convenience to students and teachers this year, academy applications and teacher recommendation request form can be accessed online. High School academy applications are currently available and should be completed and submitted electronically by December 9, 2011. Applications for FBISD’s middle school academies will be available in mid-December.
Students and families who are unable to attend the Academy Expo may learn more about the Academy Programs by visiting the FBISD website at www.fortbendisd.com. From the home page, click on “Academics & Programs.” Then go to “Student Programs,” and click on “Academies.”