Local Richmond resident. Barbara Richter-Gritczek wins second place in the 2013 Upper Gulf Coast Citrus Show held in La Marque, Texas on November 21. Richter-Gritczek, winner of the 17 ribbons at the 77 Annual Fort Bend County Fair, has gone on to win second place in the regional citrus competition.
She has a small home orchard in her yard in Pecan Grove Plantation. Her Satsumas won second prize. Most people don’t realize how fierce the judging is in this competition. The citrus is judged for size, uniformity, thinness of skin, color, sugar, acid content & blemishes. The competition covers several counties.
Citrus entries must maintain their perfect condition for months before the judging begins. The winning Satsumas were harvested in late September/early October and the judging was held in late November. Much of the US Satsuma Orchards were wiped out in the Hurricane that slammed into Louisiana.
Information online at one of the largest commercial Orchards last year was that 75% of the orchards were demolished and the remaining 25% were damaged by salt water. They were not taking any orders for 2012. Barbara says she has not seen Satsumas in grocery stores since the Hurricane.