On Jan. 23, six Fort Bend ISD students were named as candidates for the 2018 U.S. Presidential Scholars by the U.S. Department of Education.
Most were selected on the basis of their ACT/SAT score being one of the 20 highest in their state (ties included), separated by gender. Only 4,500 students out of nearly 3.6 million graduating seniors in the country received an invitation. These students have a chance to apply and be named one of 161 Presidential Scholars and be symbolically honored by the President at a ceremony sponsored by the White House. They are:
- Jackson Neal, Sugar Land – Stephen F. Austin High School
- Brandon K. Wang, Sugar Land – William P. Clements High School
- Faye H. Wang, Missouri City – William P. Clements High School
- Kadriye S. Almus, Sugar Land – Dulles High School
- Amsal A. Kassam, Sugar Land – Dulles High School
- Star J. Ni, Missouri City – Dulles High School
More information can be found at https://www2.ed.gov/programs/psp/index.html
The entirety of the 2018 candidates can be found at https://www2.ed.gov/programs/psp/2018/candidates.pdf.