Come celebrate Earth Day during several City of Sugar Land events on Saturday, April 16:
• from 2-6 p.m. in the Mercer Stadium parking lot (free household
electronics recycling, paper shredding and collection of clothing and household goods for reuse will take place); and
• from 5-8 p.m. in Town Square Plaza (events include an automated solid waste collection demonstration, series of environmental activity booths featuring face painting, Eco-Plinko and recycling games, along with a performance by musicians Leah White and the Magic Mirrors that is sponsored by the City of Sugar Land, Sugar Land Town Square and Republic Services).
Sugar Land residents can bring working and non-working household electronics free of charge for recycling and reuse by AERC Recycling Solutions. The following items will be accepted:
• Computer monitors (CRTs, Plasma and LCD displays)
• Laptop and notebook computers
• Televisions (standalone, console, widescreen, projection-screen, CRT, Plasma, LCD)
• Computer systems (CPU units)
• Computer peripherals (printers, scanners, plotters, copiers)
• Computer accessories (keyboards, mice, speakers, cords, cables)
• External disk memory and hard disk drives
• Circuit boards and electronic components/chips
• Network hubs, modems, and routers
• Photocopiers and multi-use copiers (copy, fax, scan, print)
• Telephone telecommunication/switching systems
• PDAs, PDA cradles, and other hand held devices
• Cellular phones and cell phone chargers
• Toner cartridges (ink jet and laser jet)
• CDs, DVDs, magnetic tape
• Batteries, Category I, II, III, IV including Lead Acid, NiCd, NiMh, Lithium, Li-Ion and Alkaline
Appliances (microwaves, blenders, refrigerators, washers and dryers, etc.); hazardous materials; car batteries; and stainless steel will not be accepted.
Residents will also have the opportunity to bring their paper, CDs, DVDs and floppy discs for shredding by Shred Pro Services, a document destruction and recycling company. The shredded material will be recycled after the event.
The Fort Bend County Women’s Center will accept donations of clothing and household items for resale at the County’s PennyWise Resale locations.
The recycling collection event will follow these guidelines:
• Residents must remain in their vehicles at all times.
• Walk-ups will not be accepted.
• City staff will remove items from vehicles.
• Residents will not be able to watch their documents get shredded.
• Containers used to transport items and papers will not be returned.
For more information, contact 281-275-2450.