Extended hours of operation at Sugar Land’s T.E. Harman Center begin Jan. 2.
The center will be open during the following hours for activities such as health and fitness classes, dances, special events, billiards, ping pong, cards and board games:
• Mondays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.;
• Tuesdays through Thursdays from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; and
• Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The T.E. Harman Center, 226 Matlage Way, opened earlier this year after renovations to the building that accommodate Sugar Land senior adult programs and activities, as well as other community uses.
The renovations almost doubled the space previously available to seniors.
The Harman Center includes a computer room/library; game rooms; an arts and crafts room; a teaching kitchen; and multipurpose rooms for classes, movies, exercise, dance, bingo and other forms of entertainment
The center was named after Sugar Land’s first mayor, who was elected to the office in 1959. He served until 1961 and then served a second term as Mayor from 1965 to 1967. Harman came to Sugar Land from Gonzales, and his family was part of the early settlers of Texas. He lived on Brooks and Guenther Streets.
Harman Bridge that spans Oyster Creek to connect Mayfield Park and Main Street is also named for him.