Thunder Wolf District of Boy Scouts held its Camporee March 23– 25 at Bovay Scout Ranch, near Navasota, Texas Three hundred twelve scouts and adult leaders attended.
A number of competitions, based on skills scouts learn as they advance through ranks in the Boy Scouts, were held. Events include, Pioneering, Orienteering, Fishing Challenge, Team building Roman Legion Event, Fire Building, Knot Relay, First Aid Skills Challenge and an obstacle course. Each event was run by the Scouts themselves, with adult supervision, in support of one of the aims of
Scouting, to develop leadership skills in the Scouts.
The winners were:
– 1st Place Troop/Patrol – Events – Troop 731 – Wild Pony Stingers / Scorpions Patrol
– 2nd Place Troop/Patrol- Events – Troop 659 – Flying Eagles Patrol
– 3rd Place Troop/Patrol – Events – Troop 659 – Raccoons patrol
– 1st Place Campsite Inspections- Troop 140
– Best Event Host – Troop 1316 – Copperhead Patrol
– 1st Place Cookout Award – Troop 1003 – Sidewinder Patrol
– Honorable Mention, Cookout Award – Troop 395, Piranha Patrol
– Scout Spirit Award – Troop 1845 – Bandana Bandits – Kyle (single scout) for not quitting when the rest of his patrol did.
Several trainings occurred, including 36 leaders who were trained in the new Classroom Facilitated Youth Protection Training, a training required of all leaders who will take their Scouts to a long-term resident summer or winter camp in Texas.
The Thunder Wolf District, comprised of Stafford MISD and the portion of Fort Bend ISD South of US-59, is affiliated with the Sam Houston Area Council.