Registration is now open for children and families wanting to take part in the Walk with Pride Shoe Program. Each child accepted will be invited to participating Payless Shoe Source locations to pick out a new pair of shoes on a specific date.
To be eligible, documentation must be provided showing:
• parent identification and social security cards
• proof of income (current pay stubs, unemployment benefits, or award letters from SSI, Social Security, VA Pension, Retirement, child support, TANF)
• relationship to child (proving you are the parent or legal guardian)
• proof that you live in Fort Bend County (current utility bill)
• proof the child will be in school for the 2012-2013 school year.
Registration will end August 10th.
For more than 20 years, Fort Bend County Social Services has hosted the “Walk with Pride Shoe Program” in collaboration with various contributors including charitable organizations, private businesses, and individuals in the community.
Each year before school begins, children of low income families can register to receive a free pair of shoes from select Payless Shoe stores. Each eligible child receives one-on-one attention from a volunteer throughout the shoe selection process, and leaves with a new pair of shoes they can be proud of on the first day of school. Last year 700 children received a new pair of shoes.
While the agency would like to help every child in need, the number of children it can help depends on the amount of funding received. Donations are being accepted at this time.
For more information contact Fort Bend County Social Services at 281 238-3504 or 281 238-3506.