Much has happened in Sugar Land and its neighborhoods over the last year, on both ends of the spectrum.
In just a few weeks, city leaders will use a virtual event to reflect on the positive that has come from the past year during the annual State of the City address from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 19 during an event hosted by the Fort Bend County Chamber of Commerce.
Mayor Joe Zimmerman and City Manager Michael Goodrum will highlight accomplishments and positive happenings in Sugar Land, and explore what the coming year holds, according to a news release. Among the notable highlights of 2020 included:
• Earning the top spot for the safest large city in Texas
• The Sugar Land Skeeters being named the Houston Astros' new Triple-A franchise
• The ongoing Mobility master plan that will encompass all modes of transportation, including walking, biking, driving and transit
• The Texas Economic Development Council awarded Sugar Land’s Office of Economic Development (OED) with the 2020 Community Economic Development Award for Innovativeness for its Sweet Cash program
• The Center for Digital Government awarded the city for its efforts in leveraging innovative information technology to enhance services and citizen experience during the pandemic Registration for the event is open.